Gauteng Department of Health Bursary South Africa 2017 – 2018
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The bursary scheme was initiated by the Department of Health as a way to increase the skill set within the medical field in South Africa, which is currently a scarce skills in the country.
ABOUT THE BURSARY
Bursaries will be awarded within the following fields of study:
Students currently studying at a University/ University of Technology:
- B Pharmacy
- MA Clinical Psychology
- Medical Physicists
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech therapy, Language, Audiology & Pathology
Students currently in Matric and have been accepted to study at a University/ University of Technology in the upcoming year:
- Bachelor of Clinical Medical Practice
- Clinical Engineering
- Clinical Technology
- Dental Technology
- Dental Therapy
- Diagnostic Radiography
- Emergency Medical Care
- Medical Orthotics and Prosthetics
- Optometry Radiotherapy
- Oral Hygiene
Bursaries will also be awarded within the Radiography field, when students apply at a Radiography departments in one of the following Hospitals:
- CHARLOTTE MAXEKE JHB ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
- CHRIS HANI BARAGWANATH ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
- GEORGE MUKHARI ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
- HELEN JOSEPH HOSPITAL
- RAHIMA MOOSA MOTHER AND CHILD HOSPITAL
- STEVE BIKO ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
- TAMBO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen,
- Those residing in Gauteng Province permanently,
- From a disadvantaged background,
- Studying or intend on studying in one of the aforementioned fields of study,
- Minimum “C” symbol average in Matric.
HOW TO APPLY
Download and complete the Gauteng Dept of Health Bursary Application Form (pdf).
Alternatively, you can collect an application form from one of the following health care facilities: Charlotte Maxeke JHB Academic Hospital, Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital, Far East Rand Hospital, Heidelberg Hospital, Leratong Hospital, Mamelodi Hospital, Natalspruit Hospital, Rahima Moosa Hospital, Sebokeng Hospital, Steve Biko Academic Hospital, South Rand Hospital, Tambo Memorial Hospital, Tembisa Hospital.
The following documents must accompany your complete application form:
- ID document (certified copy),
- Matric final certificate (current Matric students, see below),
- Proof of University registration (if applicable),
- Latest academic report/ transcript (current University students),
- Dependants birth certificates/ ID documents (certified copies),
- Parents/ guardians ID documents (certified copies),
- Parents/ guardians proof of income (latest payslips/ sworn affidavits if unemployed),
- Proof of residence (utility bill).
Students who are currently in Matric, must also provide the following documents:
- Matric June results report (certified copy),
- University letter of acceptance or preliminary acceptance,
- Motivation letter,
- Proof of voluntary work (letter from manager of health facility or hospital).
Complete application forms and supporting documents must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Hand delivered:
Gauteng Department of Health
1 Rissik, Penmore Building, CNR Rissik and Albert, Johannesburg (enter via Loveday Street).
2) Registered mail:
37 Sauer Street, Johannesburg, Private Bag X085, Marshalltown, 2107.
*NB: no faxed or emailed applications please.
5 September annually.
For any bursary queries, please contact:
The Bursary Section Team
Tel: 011 355 3847/ 3514