South African Translators’ Institute Bursary South Africa 2018 – 2019
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
Founded in 1956, the South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) is a group of translation professionals across South Africa.
The SATI Development Committee was established in 1993, when SATI realised how vast the need was for trained language workers in SA – thus the bursary award was implemented, whereby the committee collects funds for deserving students in financial need. Since its inception, 113 students have been awarded bursaries.
ABOUT THE BURSARY
SATI will be awarding 2 bursaries to the sum of R20 000 each – 1 of the bursaries is sponsored by ATKV (Afrikaanse Taal en Kultuurvereniging). The bursary awards are available for students currently enrolled in a translation, interpreting or language field of study. No bursaries will be awarded to postgraduate of first year students.
The aim of the SATI bursary is to help ease the burden of tuition fees by R20 000 – it is the students responsibility to ensure that they have access to funding for the remainder of their tuition fees.
Applicants must ensure that they meet the following minimum requirements before applying:
- South African citizen
- Able to work in combinations of the South African official languages
- Currently enrolled in a tertiary institution and studying in the translation, interpreting, language field
- NOT in the first year or postgraduate years of study
- Obtained a minimum average mark of 65% for the current year of study
- Proven financial need
- Have access to additional funding to subsidise the remainder of the tuition fees for the year (proof will be required)
- Do not hold any other current bursary awards/ funding to cover the expenses to be covered by the SATI award
HOW TO APPLY
Please attach the following items in your application:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Academic qualifications (if applicable) (certified copy)
- Copy of academic record to date
- Copy of matric certificate and any additional academic qualifications
- Confirmation of registration at tertiary institution for the current year of study
- 2017 year end results (if not yet available, please indicate when they will be available)
Application forms and supporting documentation must be submitted via:
Fax: 0866 199 133
19 January 2018.
For any bursary related queries, please contact:
The South African Translators’ Institute (SATI)
Tel: 011 803 2681