Rio Tinto Bursary South Africa 2017 – 2018
ABOUT THE BURSAR
The Rio Tinto Group are a British-Australian multinational firm founded in 1873. The company is one of the biggest metals and mining organisations across the globe.
The Group has numerous subsidiaries in countries around the world (partly and wholly owned) – the subsidiary in South Africa is Richards Bay Minerals (RBM). RMB are 74% owned by Rio Tinto and are producers of ilmenite.
ABOUT THE BURSARY
Each year 4 to 8 students are awarded bursaries for the duration of their tertiary studies. The bursary covers the full cost of study fees for a 1 to 4 year period.
Bursaries are awarded to students in the following fields of study:
- Environmental Science
- Geology/ Drilling/ Surveying
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Electronics Engineering/ Instrumentation
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Once students have graduated, they will be required to take up a position as graduate-in-training at RBM. They will also be required to “work back” the bursary at RBM for an equal duration as that of their bursary award.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying:
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric with good results
- Excellent academic record
- Studying or intend on studying at one of the major universities in South Africa:
- University of Witwatersrand (WITS)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
- University of Pretoria (UP)
- University of Cape Town (UCT)
- Stellenbosch University (Maties/ Stellies)
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be done online at: www.riotinto.com/careers
Alternatively, please email: email@example.com (with the phrase “Bursary Application” in the email subject line).
Please attach the following supporting documentation to your email:
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record
- Proof of acceptance to study at one of the aforementioned tertiary institutions
- Motivational letter
30 September annually.
For any bursary queries, please contact Rio Tinto (Gauteng branch):
Tel: 011 911 9700
Fax: 086 579 7635